Bandcamp Bonanza – Surfs Up


Wax up wave riders for today we’re going on a rock n roll adventure. I’ve taken an extra week off from writing this feature but that doesn’t mean there was a break from the music. In fact, just the opposite. Sometimes I get so caught up in listening that I leave no time to write about it to share with all of you. Here are some recent gems that surfaced in camp.

NOSIS – NOSIS
NOSIS bring us gigantic riffs laced with sludge-soaked fuzz that crushes like an avalanche of axe heads. The barbaric vocals chant with an alluring harmony as the unrelenting rhythm grooves with earthquake force.

The Acid Guide Service – Vol. 11
I don’t know where the first 10 volumes went but Vol. 11 is a kick in the pants. God Holy Trousers as fellow camper Steve Rogers would say. This one gets better the more you listen and the more you listen the better it gets. Don’t ask me what I was thinking when I wrote this blurb, I’m sure it had something to do with the band name and me just having weird shit pop up in my head and I just act on it. I do know I was at the gym when I wrote it.
If there's something strange in your neighborhood, who you gonna call? The Acid Guide Service. If there's something weird and it don't look good, who you gonna call? The Acid Guide Service. Yep. They ain't afraid of no riffs!

Milkbrother – Milkbrother
This one came without warning and feature 2 members of the band Aleph Null which is a favorite of mine. No doubt the influence and style is present, however it’s a new band, new name, and has a mind of its own. Raise your glass (of milk) and chug down on some trippy ass groove.
 Building upon the legacy that was Aleph Null, Milkbrother have crafted an illusory vision of Psychedelic rock meets experimental blues. Hard to imagine a duo making this much enchanting noise and they pull it off flawlessly. Not as heavy as Aleph Null but certainly holds a candle firmly in its place with immaculately demented psych. Favorite track: Scent of Shrouds.

Surfing in Hell – Catch A Wave
See, I told ya we were going to go on an adventure today. Surfing in Hell is actually how they surf in Sweden, being from Sweden, the group has shown much promise on this debut.
 Infectiously catchy hard rock gleaming the cube of torrential riffs. Surfing in Hell hangs their blazing stoner metal hooks ten toes deep beneath a fiery tube of fuzz. For fans of that Fu Manchu / Truckfighters groove accented by proto-metallic vocal tones. Favorite track: Surfers-up.

Blackbird Hill – Midday Moonlight (maxi)
This is some downright blistering rock n roll brimming with smooth, poppy vocals and cut with fuzzy delta blues. The riffs are overflowing with groove laden bass and a pleasant outlaw twang. I haven't been this blown away since last years 'High Plains' release by Youngblood Supercult. Go ahead look them up too.Favorite track: Midday Moonlight.

These ought to keep you afloat for a while on this monster wave of riffs we’ve been swimming in. The tide is warming and the ripples are spreading. More and more bands just keep surfacing and I don’t think it’s ever going to stop. Wait till you see what next weeks edition has to offer. Its already booking up.

-The Huntsman

Comments

Psymin said…
Cheers for the tunes! Nice write ups! \m/