The Loomis Fargo Gang - The Prettiest Shade of Blue



A few weeks back, JJ over at the Obelisk did something different. He wrote a review of this little indie/country/folk band's album. It caught my eye. I listened, it caught my ear. So, I snagged a copy to write my own review of.

The CD is simply packaged, just a thin envelope with a small lyric book inside. The photography on the covers and in the book is really gorgeous. A couple landscapes of misty meadows and blooming bushes, a couple close-ups of flowers and berries. Really natural looking stuff that sets you up for how the record sounds.

The music is super chill. It doesn't sound overworked and perfected, it sounds like if a popular indie/folk band just sat down on the front porch of a cabin and started writing songs, after listening to Beach Boys albums a few times. If you're wanting something to enjoy some lazy sunshine with, this is your band. If you want something to have a car chase to, maybe look somewhere else.

For me, personally, this record has a nostalgia to it. Not that I've known these guys for a long time or anything, not that kind of nostalgia; it reminds me of my childhood, kind of. I grew up (and still live) on a farm. My family has always been pretty much a country family, this music reminds me of my great-grandparents and their fields, their cattle, their old, half-painted pickup trucks.

I like when music can evoke memories and images that way. I was happy to find this band, and this album.

- Headshot

https://www.facebook.com/TheLoomisFargoGang





Comments