Heavy Pink - 7"

Normally I'd review a 7" single with a few others but given that it's a new solo project from Stone Axe/Mos Generator main man Tony Reed and released on JJ Koczan's label Maple Forum it warrants a few more words than normal. Also, I haven't bought any other 7" singles lately. I came close to picking up a reissue of Adrenalin O.D.'s "Lets Barbecue" single at Black Gold Records in Brooklyn but opted for a used Enoch Light LP that was a lot cheaper. 10 years ago the prices on those two records would have been the exact opposite.

The first thing I thought of when I heard that Tony was putting a solo single out under the name HeavyPink was of the old Detroit band Frijid Pink and how I need to finally get their first album. The second thing I thought was I needed to get the HeavyPink 7" pronto. JJ was nice enough to deliver a copy of the record when he came to see Cortez and Mighty High at Hank's Saloon in Brooklyn. He put it on the band merch table but I was the only customer. Later that night 3 or 4 people saw me holding the record and were like "what's that? New shit from Tony of Stone Axe? Where'd you get that?" You snooze, you lose but there are still copies left and you should order one.


"Flower and Song" is slow and heavy but not really in the metal realm. There are definite elements from the first King Crimson album but also the pulverizing grind of vintage Celtic Frost. There are also some excellent "Black Sabbath" tolling bells. Not sure if this is totally accurate, but it kind of reminds me if the Swans had a more traditional hard rock approach. Intriguing stuff. Flip the record over for "There Is A Light" and it gets a bit heavier. A killer "Into The Void" style riff sits underneath a chiming "Welcome To The Machine" riff and then makes room for some nice "Hotel California" guitar harmonies. When the vocals come in, they are suitably trippy and chanty. The lyrics "you bring the light…show me the way" probably contain a deeper meaning than asking someone to bring a lighter over when Frampton's on the stereo. The single comes with a download card that contains an extra song called "Long Live The Mellotron." It sounds exactly like you think it does - a mellotron orgy of glorious sound.

Hopefully there's a double album in the works because I'm ready for a lot more of this.

--Woody

sample: http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2011/11/22/88heavypinkleft/

and don't miss your chance to pick up one of the few remaining copies of the Stone Axe/Mighty High split 7" on Ripple Music

Comments