Ripple Field Trip - Disco Nap @ The Powerhouse

This was my first “field trip” where I write a review and as I am writing not long after viewing the band, the post-live-music hype is still going around my head. So, in advance, I apologise for any craziness.

The Band-
Disco Nap is a group of two, Ross Hope and Derek Mudge, who sometimes play with lots of other people. They call themselves “electronic, emotronic, indie” I just call them cool. They also celebrated a Triple J Unearthed award.

The Scene-
Powerhouse Theatre, Friday night, 6pm playing as part of the “Residents” (which basically is just one band comes along and plays every Friday of a month to get some publicity going). It has a casual feel to it, just a small crowd. Really pretty location as well (google it.)

The Night-
These guys are great and no, I won't stop saying that. They are funny and can play like dynamite.

They opened the night with “False Teeth” which is a really sweet love song with lyrics like,
“The truth is it's you that I see,
In a nursing home next to me
The truth is I hope you're with me,
When we're old and frail with false teeth”

The line up got even better from there with the likes of “Back Down The Aisle”, “Birthday Song” and “Home Karaoke” to mention a few.

There was plenty of audience interaction, which always manages to make the night far more interesting than just the band playing song after song...

“I think we discussed today that we are veterans of the music industry.. *starts playing*..And all of the money to show for it too!” (Ross Hope)

“That song was going to be for my wife, but I don't think she is even here. I think that is grounds for divorce. What do you think?” (Ross Hope)

It could very easily be said that the highlight of the night was their cover of Icehouse's “Electric Blue” (now... I wasn't around in the 80's so if anyone can confirm or disprove this, please let me know). Disco Nap learnt the song in a week to live up to a promise they made. The reason the cover was so awesome was because of Derek Hope's saxophone solo... on the keyboard.
After finishing the song...
“Can we do the solo bit again? I practised for two hours today”
The encore was granted and after he finished there was a huge round of applause.

Finishing off with “Can't Concentrate” was a wise move. The loud electric guitar and bass filled climax resulted with half of the audience doing an amusing head nod.

Now, as I wrap this up I think I had better confess that I already loved this band before I sought out permission to write about them, which made it even better. They are really enjoyable and you really do have to admire Derek Mudge for his wild “looking for the sound” after every song change. Ross Hope's vocals are very strong and top off their music beautifully.

Worth seeing or buying their album (Running Red Lights).

--Koala (who is now off of her hype)

Comments

Penfold said…
My goodness Koala. You are a writing machine! And not only that, but your writing is great! That sounded like one heck of a show. Sorry I missed it.
Anonymous said…
It was a lovely show indeed, amazing to hear cant concentrate and you're right- one just couldn't not nod along with the guitar at the end. ;)