A Sunday Conversation with Vinnie Moore of UFO

Some artists just don't need an introduction.

Just like the Pope babbled incoherently the day Tommy Victor stopped by our office, I peed myself like a little
school girl when Vinnie Moore, the dynamic solo artist and lead guitarist for my all-time heroes, UFO, walked in through our Ripple doors and plopped himself down on our red leather interview couch. Once I picked my jaw up off the Ripple floor, and the Pope found my tongue and gave it back to me, I started a conversation with one of rock and roll's most firey and technical guitarists, talking about his songwriting craft, and his time with the reborn UFO, hot on the heels of their stunning new album, The Visitor.


When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkle, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music.UFO's Lights Out was another, as it soun
ded unlike any hard rock I'd heard before. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.


What have been your musical epiphany moments?

There have been many. Hearing Jeff Beck the first time. Ritchie Blackmore, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Al Dimeola, Larry Carlton….on and on and on……………….



UFO are deservedly legendary, were
you a fan of the band before joining? Can you tell us a little of your impressions/feelings for UFO before you20joined?

I was a fan and had Obsession, Lights Out, and Force It. I really liked these records and they had an influence on me for sure



How did your union with UFO happen? Who called whom? And, in truth, was it an exciting idea or an intimidating one, with so many old fans married to the Schenker years?

The band was looking for a guitarist and from what I am told…they were having a little difficulty finding someone who they felt was the right guy. We had a mutual friend who thought I would be a good fit and he recommended me. I was asked to send a cd of my stuff to Phil. A couple weeks later I got a call and was told that Phil wanted me to join. It was a good feeling to be joining the band. I don’t get intimidated very easily on a musical level.



Vinnie Moore has such a unique original sound, Michael Schenker has a unique original sound and UFO has a unique original sound; how do you fuse all this together as you're creating new music with the band?


I honestly don’t think about it. I just write and go with the creativity and whatever comes out…comes out.



How has your relationship with Phil Mogg as songwriting partners developed over the three albums?


It hasn’t changed really as far as the process of doing it. But I think we are more familiar with one another stylistically and so this helps us hit the nail on the head more immediately.


Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place??


The music comes first. I will write a song and then Phil will write lyrics and sing over it. Sometimes sections may get shortened, lengthened, or rearranged during the process.



In songwriting, how do you bring the song together? What do you look for in terms of complexity? Simplicity? Time changes?

Honestly, I don’t look at any of those elements. The less thought the better. I think creating is much more of a feel thing. Like when you make love to a beautiful woman, you don’t think about doing this or that, you just feel it and go with the flow.

I don’t think you’ll find much time changing in UFO. That’s for nerds who watch too much star trek.


Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

I am always listening to different kinds of music. I play guitar a lot, and by nature always seem to be searching for something new that will excite me musically. It’s just a labor of love for me.



Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

One time onstage in Korea I broke a string when my tech was in the middle of working on my spare guitar. I handed him my main guitar and he just froze because he had nothing to give me. I was supposed to be playing a solo and was just standing onstage with no guitar. So I went to the mic and screamed jokingly…”somebody get me a fuckin guitar.” I think our drum tech got one from the opening band and I was able to finish the song. But the whole audience certainly understood English very well because they laughed their asses off.


What makes a great song?

Something that makes you “feel” something when you hear it.




Tell us about th
e first song you ever wrote?

I used to write a lot of little things with maybe 2 parts and then jam on them. This was how songwriting started to develop for me. I don’t really remember the first full song I wrote. But I do remember feeling a sense of accomplishment. This is probably why I still write and play music today…it is what rewards me most.



What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

Most of the stuff on my new solo CD called To The Core. Lots of different influences on that and I am proud that I wrote it.



Who today, writes great songs? Why?

Too many people that are doing many different things so it is hard to really mention just one or two.



Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

I listen to music mostly with my ipod now. So that’s my favorite gadget even though the quality of the compressed files is not the greatest. As far as sound quality, vinyl with a high quality stylus. CD has the potential to be so much better but is unfortunately stuck in the digital ice age. 44.1k/16 bit is real shit and I have no idea why we are anchored there. I can record in my studio at 96k/24 bit but it’s kinda pointless when your music is gonna end up on a cd with a much lower quality anyway. I dunno why no one is making cd players that will play discs with different formats.



We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. When we come to your town, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?


You can go to Bert’s on Concord Pike.

Vinnie, thanks for stopping by, good luck with the new album, and plan to see my smiling face in San Juan Capistrano and San Francisco on the UFO tour. Pope, can you please pick up my jaw for me again!

Comments

Thanks for the comment Rich. Seems with your engineering background, you'd certainly know the limits of today's CDs. Just don't shoot all the mastering engineers on the Ripple lawn. The smell would be awful!

And I agree, Vinnie seems to be a quality guy.
Woody said…
Nice! Gotta hear this new UFO album. Even Classic Rock Magazine gave it a good write up.