A Sunday Conversation with Mod Amish


Coming hot on the heels of their stunning First Place finish in the Converse "Out of the Garage," band contest, local heroes Mod Amish stopped by to grace the Ripple office with their presence and show off their gleaming, glittering trophy. You can find their dynamite song "September," as the song featured by Converse, and we're happy to see that the judges got it right. A combination of Husker Du, X, the Pixies and just great rock and roll. Check back to our original Mod Amish Ripple Review and you'll see that we gushed plenty over that track. Actually, the whole self-released album is that good, and we were thrilled to have Mod Amish taking their place on our red interview couch.

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphanies since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

Funny that you mention Kiss. I remember being one of only three kids in grade school whose parents allowed them to wear a Kiss Army T-shirt to class. I also remember wearing out an 8 track of Simon and Garfunkel’s Greatest Hits. As far as my last great musical epiphany is concerned, I would have to say the Pixies. After hearing one song I had to get my hands on everything they recorded. There have been a few more since then, but none that dramatic.


Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

The music almost always comes first. I like to have the music first and structure it. Afterward, I’ll come up with a melody for the verses and chorus and the words last. I hate writing lyrics mainly because so much has been said in rock and roll that its pretty hard to be original in that department. I write and rewrite the words until I like them. I love the story about how Paul McCartney wrote “Yesterday” calling it “Scrambled Eggs” until he had suitable lyrics for the song. That’s how I work.


Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

Anywhere and everywhere. You never really know when something is going to hit you the right way so I always try to listen to new stuff coming out and dig through older stuff trying to find good music I might have missed along the way.


Genre's are so misleading and such a way to pigeonhole bands. Without resorting to labels, how would you describe your music?

Difficult question. I suppose melodic and hard edged for starters. We want it to kick you in the ass in only the best of ways. Hopefully, we’re eccentric while still accessible. But in the end it’s all loud rock and roll.


What is you musical intention? What are you trying to express or get your audience to feel?

First and foremost that we are absolutely serious and honest about our song writing. These are not just thrown together hoping to get something by on our listeners. They are what we believe to be truly great. Hopefully, the song gets their attention the first time around and when they return for subsequent listens they pick up on the subtleties that are going on as well.


In songwriting, how do you bring the song together? What do you look for in terms of complexity? Simplicity? Time changes?

The music and progression of the song generally comes first, then the melody lines. Lyrics are usually last. It’s one of the easiest things in the world to write bad lyrics. Writing good lyrics is a torturous, time consuming process for me. They are written and rewritten numerous times. Time changes are only were they need to be. You have to only when they’re a perfect fit.

The business of music is a brutal place. Changes in technology have made it easier than ever for bands to get their music out, but harder than ever to make a living? What are your plans to move the band forward? How do you stay motivated in this brutal business?

I love the fact that we are able to get the music out to so many in no time at all. I am, however, dismayed that people do not feel they need to compensate the performers that satisfy their artistic indulgences. We’ve been at this for a few years now, and we’ve done some good work. It seems these days that you must get the “asses in seats” when performing live in order to eke out living with this. Let’s face it, if you are pursuing a career with original music it has to be your true passion. I can’t think of any better motivation than that.

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

Before we learned any better, we used to drink a lot on stage. So we may not even remember some of the funnier (or more likely, pathetic) moments we’ve experienced. I do remember Mike dressing up like Flavor-Flav at a Halloween gig. He was so drunk he could barely hold his guitar much less play it. Ah…memories.

Where do you see you and your music going in ten years?

As long as we stay honest with ourselves and true to the music, I see us doing the same thing, only bigger and more refined. I’ll be doing this until I die or someone gets sick of us and offs us. I believe my band mates feel the same.


What makes a great song?

Another tough one. Where to start? I’ll just sum it up with that it takes brutal self honesty. You have to ask yourself if what you are creating is splendid or should you bite the bullet, throw it out and start over. In the words of Miles Davis, “if it sounds good, it is good.”

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

Ewe. I think it was about going to a party. I remember singing it into a cassette recorder when I was about eight years old. Oh god.


What piece of your music are you particularly proud of?

Oh boy. Let’s leave that to listener preference.


Who today, writes great songs? Why?

There are a few of my old favorites that are still cranking out quality work after a number of years like Robert Pollard, Bob Dylan and Frank Black. Songwriting is just in their blood and they still do it well. Its hard to listen to modern rock music and not think of it in context of something that came before it. Still there are a lot of people doing great stuff these days. I love the Arcade Fire and the Fleet Foxes. They seem to be taking pop/rock in some great directions.


Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?


I have always had an affinity for vinyl. You just get such warm depth. Digital is the easiest, though.


What's the best record store in your town?

San Diego has some good ones. I like Record City in Hillcrest for an all purpose record store. Taang Records has a lot of good punk stuff and M-Theory is nice as well.

Thanks guys, and we took your recommendations on record stores. Now you owe us $250 for all the vinyl we bought at Record City and M-Theory. Damn, what great stores. Taang was a blast too. Keep sending us your performing dates because we've got to hook up with you live.

Pick up the Mod Amish disc below

Buy the CD

Comments